Thursday, June 5, 2014

Freedom in Christ

John 8:31-59
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Truth Will Make You Free

31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” 33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?”
34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. 36 So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are Abraham’s descendants; yet you seek to kill Me, because My word [a]has no place in you. 38 I speak the things which I have seen [b]with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father.”
39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus *said to them, If you are Abraham’s children, do the deeds of Abraham. 40 But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. 41 You are doing the deeds of your father.” They said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but [c]He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand [d]what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, andyou want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks [e]a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of [f]lies. 45 But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hearthem, because you are not of God.”
48 The Jews answered and said to Him, “Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. 50 But I do not seek My glory; there is One who seeks and judges. 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death.” 52 The Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets also; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death.’ 53 Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be?” 54 Jesus answered, If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing;it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God’; 55 and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I will be a liar like you, but I do know Him and keep His word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced [g]to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham [h]was born,I am.” 59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus [i]hid Himself and went out of the temple.


Jesus said  “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. " - Jesus came to destroy that slavery to sin by his sacrifice and his resurrection power.


Romans 5:2 NIV
through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.

2 Peter 1:3 NIV

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.


Moses was enabled to bring out from the bondage of Israelites from the Egyptians,
Joseph was enabled to overcome the bondage of his brothers, David and others were enabled to erupt the temple of God.

Sin has been a bondage from the beginning, accusing the men and women of God as an hindrance in their life to do God's will. But we as God's chosen has to overcome this cunning and crafty sin.

Hebrews 12:1 NIV

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

1 Timothy 2:14 NIV

And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

2 Corinthians 11:3 NIV

But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.




In the Study Bible - Freedom in Christ: Neil discusses that the true freedom from any bondage is only through Christ, all the other methods and way are effective only as a temporary.

Galatians 5:1

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Walk by the Spirit

[a]It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.


2 Corinthians 11:14

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

We need to be aware of satan's deception, he could be in any form. We need to be aware of False humility.

Matthew 7:15 NIV

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Colossians 2:18 NIV

Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind.


Since satan uses crafty and cunning ways disguising himself as angel of God, We cannot by our self be able to overcome him, but with the power of God - We can.

Ephesians 6:10-24

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against [a]flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness inthe heavenly places. 13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 [b]in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And takethe helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 [c]With all prayer and petition [d]pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, [e]be on the alert with allperseverance and petition for all the saints, 19 and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in[f]chains; that [g]in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
21 But that you also may know about my circumstances, [h]how I am doing, Tychicus, the beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, will make everything known to you. 22 [i]I have sent him to you for this very purpose, so that you may know [j]about us, and that he may comfort your hearts.
23 Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ [k]with incorruptible love.

No comments:

Welcome!

More Than 50 Videos of Rev. Fredrick Osborn's Bible Study Playlists https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgXh_mck7eqpbK4tArpmtZSfF502x...