Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Analogy of Jesus Christ - The Cost of Discipleship

Luke 9 - 


In Luke chapter 9 there were many instances Jesus said what one need to do to be his Disciple. At first he says to Take up the Cross and Follow Him from the 23 v to 27 and then in 57 v to 62 Jesus teaches us the Cost of Discipleship. 

Take Up the Cross and Follow Him

23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.25 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost? 26 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father’s, and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God.”


The Analogy of Jesus "Take up the Cross and Follow me" - 
Jesus says to take up the Cross and Follow him. First he says "If anyone desires to come after me". So, there should be a desire to Follow Jesus. The Desire is - In all thy ways acknowledge him.
Proverbs 3:6 ASV
In all thy ways acknowledge him, And he will direct thy paths.

Psalm 37:4 (NKJV)
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

Psalm 84:10 (NKJV)
10 For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Psalm 27:4 (NKJV)
4 One thing I have desired of the Lord,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to inquire in His temple.

Psalm 16 (NKJV)
The Hope of the Faithful, and the Messiah’s Victory
A Michtam of David.
16 Preserve me, O God, for in You I put my trust.
2 O my soul, you have said to the Lord,
“You are my Lord,
My goodness is nothing apart from You.”
3 As for the saints who are on the earth,
“They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.”

That Desire that David had should be our Desire too. 

The Analogy of Jesus saying "“Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” Is that Jesus was God, The one who feeds all the creatures. As he said in - Matthew 6:26 NIV
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
Jesus did not complain to the Heavenly Father, He Humbled himself, As said in Philippians 2:6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bond servant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 

But when he came to the world the people didn't acknowledged him, rather he was humiliated and rejected. Luke 4:24 NIV "Truly I tell you," he continued, "no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

The Cost of Discipleship

57 Now it happened as they journeyed on the road, that someone said to Him, “Lord, I will follow You wherever You go.”
58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”
59 Then He said to another, “Follow Me.”
But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”
60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”
61 And another also said, “Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house.”
62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”



No comments:

Welcome!

More Than 50 Videos of Rev. Fredrick Osborn's Bible Study Playlists https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgXh_mck7eqpbK4tArpmtZSfF502x...