Friday, September 4, 2015

Mountain Top And Valley Experiences


It is said that the Prophets were able to visualize what is coming in the future like viewing a mountain top which is clearly visible rather than the valley which follows, which is invisible. Same goes with the life' events. We can say thank God for the good things that happens to us, when we are at the mountain top, but we should be having the same attitude towards God when we are in deep misery, trouble and pain. One of the best example from the Bible is Job.


First he heard news after news about his children being killed, then his servants, then his livestock. But his faith in God was not shaken. His reply was, v21 Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.
22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.
Job' security was not his belongings, But God. He trusted God so much that his wealth, his belongings were the gift that God chose to give him, rather than his own ability. Here Job stresses the point that God is in control of everything. He chose to give what pleases him, rather than what we want. Many are unsecured because of the loss of their wealth, their belongings. This may be because they don't trust God completely or they may have been too much possessive about their belongings, thinking that whatever they possess is because of their ability and  their power.


Job 1:9-22King James Version (KJV)

Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.
12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.
13 And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:
14 And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:
15 And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
17 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
18 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:
19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,
21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.
22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.


The Second time, when Job was going through the valley was when he was affected by satan on his health, even here his faith was not shaken. He replied to his wife, who asked v“Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!” 10 But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speaks.Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

Even when Job was affected on his own health, he still believes in God, that God is the owner of the life. Here Job says about the valley experiences. "Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?". He emphasis the point that our body is the temple of the living God, who are we suppose to ask what God does for us? Cursing God and Dying is not in my hand, only fools would do that and even say that. But I will hold Integrity at all the point of time. Even at the valley, where I do not know the future.

Psalm 23:4 King James Version (KJV)

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.



Job 2:1-10New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Job Loses His Health

Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the Lord. The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.” The Lord said to Satan, “Have you [a]considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man[b]fearing God and turning away from evil. And he still holds fast his integrity, although you incited Me against him to [c]ruin him without cause.” Satan answered the Lord and said, “Skin for skin! Yes, all that a man has he will give for his life. However, put forth Your hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh; he will curse You to Your face.” So the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your [d]power, only spare his life.”
Then Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a potsherd to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes.
Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!” 10 But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speaks.Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

Job' security comes form the Lord, He then states that  Though He slay me,
I will hope in Him.

Before this statement, when he argues with his friends, who says that his calamity, tragedy of life is because of his sins. He responds, saying... 

Job 12:7-12New American Standard Bible (NASB)

“But now ask the beasts, and let them teach you;
And the birds of the heavens, and let them tell you.
“Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you;
And let the fish of the sea declare to you.
“Who among all these does not know
That the hand of the Lord has done this,
10 In whose hand is the life of every living thing,
And the breath of all mankind?
11 “Does not the ear test words,
As the palate [a]tastes its food?
12 “Wisdom is with aged men,
With [b]long life is understanding.

Job when he said, :Though He slay me, I will hope in Him." is a response to the faith that he has with God, Job was a person who is believed to have lived at the time between Joseph and Moses, So, he would have know about Abraham.- The Father of The Faith. So, following his footsteps Job would have said this sentence. This again reemphasizes that his trust in God is so much that nothing, not even life can threaten it. First he lose all his belongings, his wealth, his livestock, his children, then his own health was hampered, then his own life. Finally what he says is God is the Author and Finisher of my faith.

But we know that God was kind to Job at the end, he got everything double and lived a peaceful life thereafter.

Job 13:13-28New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Job Is Sure He Will Be Vindicated

13 Be silent before me so that I may speak;
Then let come on me what may.
14 “Why should I take my flesh in my teeth
And put my life in my [a]hands?
15 Though He slay me,
I will hope in Him.
Nevertheless I will argue my ways [b]before Him.
16 “This also will be my salvation,
For a godless man may not come before His presence.
17 “Listen carefully to my speech,
And let my declaration fill your ears.
18 “Behold now, I have prepared my case;
I know that I will be vindicated.
19 Who will contend with me?
For then I would be silent and die.
20 “Only two things do not do to me,
Then I will not hide from Your face:
21 Remove Your [c]hand from me,
And let not the dread of You terrify me.
22 “Then call, and I will answer;
Or let me speak, then reply to me.
23 How many are my iniquities and sins?
Make known to me my [d]rebellion and my sin.
24 “Why do You hide Your face
And consider me Your enemy?
25 “Will You cause a driven leaf to tremble?
Or will You pursue the dry chaff?
26 “For You write bitter things against me
And make me to inherit the iniquities of my youth.
27 “You put my feet in the stocks
And watch all my paths;
You [e]set a limit for the soles of my feet,
28 While [f]I am decaying like a rotten thing,
Like a garment that is moth-eaten.


His trust in God did not tumble, when everything surrounding him had fallen down. The same prototype of the nature and trust, even more than that could be seen in the life of Jesus. When Jesus was humiliated by his own people, He was betrayed, unbeliever and denied by his own followers. When he was finally crucified on the cross. He did not curse God, but he asked the Father to forgive them those who made fun of him, who divided his clothes. Jesus' trust was in the Father, when he was questioned about his authority, he showed that his authority comes from God. Jesus portrays the life of Job, in that he portrays even more than that. Because by his blood he allows everyone to be clean, because he is more than a man - He is God himself. 


John 12:27New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Jesus Foretells His Death

27 Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour.
At the beginning, as like the prophet who could see the future, Those mountain top experiences and the valley experiences. Jesus saw it, then he told his disciples about how he is going to suffer and be persecuted. Then he went through such sufferings himself. He did not curse God, but rather he acknowledged him, glorified him. We should also follow the footsteps of Jesus. Trusting God all times not only at the times when things goes good, but also when it is bad.

No comments:

Welcome!

More Than 50 Videos of Rev. Fredrick Osborn's Bible Study Playlists https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgXh_mck7eqpbK4tArpmtZSfF502x...